Home Trendy News New Zealand mosque shootings: Six in court on charges they sent attack...

New Zealand mosque shootings: Six in court on charges they sent attack images

0
33

news image

WELLINGTON, New Zealand – Six people appeared in a New Zealand court Monday on charges they illegally redistributed the video a gunman livestreamed as he shot worshippers at two mosques last month.

Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O’Driscoll denied bail to businessman Philip Arps and an 18-year-old suspect who both were taken into custody in March. The four others are not in custody.

The charge of supplying or distributing objectionable material carries a penalty of up to 14 years imprisonment. Arps, 44, is scheduled to next appear in court via video link on April 26.

The 18-year-old suspect is charged with sharing the livestream video and a still image of the Al Noor mosque with the words “target acquired.” He will reappear in court on July 31 when electronically monitored bail will be considered.

More: New Zealand Parliament votes to ban semi-automatic weapons after Christchurch mass shootings

More: Facebook to restrict Facebook Live after New Zealand mosque shootings, Sheryl Sandberg says

Police prosecutor Pip Currie opposed bail for the 18-year-old suspect and said the second charge, involving the words added to the still image, was of significant concern.

New Zealand’s chief censor has banned both the livestreamed footage of the attack and the manifesto written and released by Brenton Harrison Tarrant, who faces 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges in the March 15 attacks.

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2019/04/15/new-zealand-mosque-attacks-six-court-charges-over-images/3470478002/

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here